Sedalia


With active railroad and stagecoach service, and a prime location along the popular First Territorial Road, the lively community of
Sedalia was a magnet for settlers, visitors, and businesses and a major shipping point for lumber cut in the Pike National Forest.

Successful early town businesses included Marquis Victor’s blacksmith shop, the Manhart General Merchandise Store, the 25-Mile
House and Saloon, the Weaver House, and even a professional cigar manufacturer.

As of the 2000 census, the CDP had a total population of 211. There are more horses in Sedalia than people.


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

                                  Sedalia Historic Ghost Walk!







          
                                                             
Excellent ghost tour!



For those who seek a little titillation during this spooky season, the Sedalia historic ghost walk, led by "The Widow McDonald," will
be In October tickets are $10 and reservations are required because there is a limit of 15 spirit-seekers an evening.

To make a reservation, call (303) 688-0601.

Is Sedalia haunted? It is if you ask the Widow Mary McDonald, a hostess garbed in 19th century mourning dress who leads Sedalia
Ghost Walks during October.

"Some people are not as sensitive to the supernatural as others," says the widow, who does not guarantee ghost sightings but
promises historic information on the walks.

Proceeds benefit the Sedalia Historic Fire House Museum. The walks are limited to 15 spirit seekers per evening.

Participants should bring flashlights and wear walking shoes and meet at the Sedalia fire station.

Call Carole Williams, (303) 688-0601, for reservations and information.

williams@hometownaccess.net


````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
                                  Gabriel's Restaurant








Gabriel’s resides in the architecturally noteworthy Manhart Manor, which was constructed in 1908. The building’s original purpose
was to house the distinguished Manhart family who ran the local mercantile business. George and Bertha Manhart, along with their
thirteen children, lived in this notable Victorian home of Sedalia during the store’s operation.

In 1983, the residence at 5450 W. State Highway 67 was transformed from a merchant’s home into an elegant dining
establishment. While maintaining its historical appearance, the building was augmented with several additional rooms. In August
1985, the Manhart Manor was opened to the public as Gabriel’s Northern Italian Restaurant and remains a focal point of Sedalia to
this day.



Gabriel’s
5450 Manhart (Hwy. 67)
Sedalia; (303) 688-2323
www.gabriels.bz
www.gabrielsdenver.com

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

                            Different Drummer Antiques

                                               (The Friendly-Beeman House)
                                        5465 Manhart Avenue
                                                            (303) 688-0133






























Specializing in Country Primitive Antiques and Decorative Accessories. We offer the Largest Selecion of Country Primitives in
Colorado. Open Tues.-Fri. 12-5, Sat. 1-5, Sun. & Mon. by chance

The building at 5465 Manhart Avenue, which now houses Different Drummer Antiques in the heart of Sedalia, was once the home
of the Friendly Family, the Manhart Family, and was a parish hall for St. Phillip in the Field Episcopal Church.

The 1912 brick house is also of historical significance because of its architectural style. It is a fine example of Edwardian
Vernacular design. The building is a post-Victorian structure similar to Queen Anne Style in form and massing, but lacking
ornamentation. Some of the Edwardian principles incorporated in the design are the cross-gabled roof lines, asymmetrical
massing, wide overhanging eaves, turned Doric porch columns, and a wraparound porch. Beautiful detailing can be seen in the
corner brickwork, the arched window crowned and the stone sills. The house is two-stored, the second story is of frame
construction. The front gabled roof has a small porch extending from the window grouping.

Elements of the Classic Cottage Style can be seen in the elongated chipped rood with a central dormer. There is a sweeping by
window with six windows to the north of the porch on the ground floor, and a smaller bay window with 4 windows to the south. On
each side of the paneled front door are long, narrow windows, All the doors and the double-hung windows are original. This
residence stands as it was built with no changes to the exterior.

....The carriage house that sits on the back of the property is made of the same brick. The roof is pyramidal with a small cupola on
center top. The original doors have been removed and double doors (overhead) have been installed. This building also features
wide overhanging eaves. There is a basement accessible from the back by means of concrete. The interior of the Friendly-Manhart
house has been kept true to the original with a few exceptions.

.....Joseph Friendly was born in Massachusetts in 1871, and is listed in the 1910 United States Census for Douglas County as a
telephone operator, as is his wife Bertha. Bertha's maiden name was Manhart. By 1920, the family no longer lived in the Sedalia
area, and they are not on the census. Joseph and Bertha paid $7798.57 for the construction of their house, a substantial sum in
1912. From information told to the current owner by the grandson of Mr. Friendly, Joseph was in the grain business and went
bankrupt, making it necessary to sell their home. The Friendlys had five children: a son Job, and a daughter Bertha are listed on
the 1910 census. Joseph and Bertha Friendly are buried in the Bear Canyon Cemetery. Joseph died in 1958, Bertha died in 1971.

.....The Friendlys sold the house to Christian and Sara Manhart in 1917. The Manharts sold the house to Della Hickman in 1922,
who gave or sold it to the Diocese of Colorado the next week. The Diocese sold the property in 1931 to Pearl Rudolph, who sold it
13 years later to Arthur and Mable Beeman. The Beemans lived in the house from 1943 until 1983.

Source: Douglas County Historic Preservation Board History website

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

                  Mystery Tea at Cherokee Ranch & Castle!


For a unique combination of the 'Murder Mystery Dinner' and 'Afternoon Tea' concepts, experience the mysterious illusions of
Dream Masterz. These world-champion illusionists deliver an hour-long interactive show consisting of a number of mini-mysteries
involving illusion!

During this old-fashioned, adult-oriented 'WHO DUNIT' mystery, the audience members become part of the cast – and one of them
is the murderer! You'll be on your toes until a psychic finds the culprit! The tea includes scones, finger sandwiches, pastries and
sweets. You will be intrigued, entertained and amazed!

Mystery teas are offered the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month from 1 - 3 p.m.
The cost is $45 per person.
Call to make reservations for Mystery Tea 303.688.5555 ext. 1 or email:  
mcraig@cherokeeranch.org

http://www.cherokeeranch.org

Cherokee Ranch & Castle
6113 N. Daniels Park Road
Sedalia, CO 80135-8716

Phone: 303.688.5555
Fax: 303.688.1170









                                                          Back to home page